Effect of Orange Peel Waste Adsorbent Mass on Lead (Pb) Metal Biosorption in Artificial Liquid Waste
Pengaruh Massa Adsorben Limbah Kulit Jeruk terhadap Biosorpsi Logam Timbal (Pb) dalam Limbah Cair Buatan
AbstractIn this study, orange peel was used as an adsorbent to determine the adsorption properties of lead metal. The orange peel used in this study came from waste generated by a fruit juice shop. The mass variation of the adsorbent was studied to determine its effect on the adsorption of lead metal. Mass variations used include 0.25-1.5 gram. The operating conditions used in this study included the preparation of 50 mL of 50 mg/L Lead solution, the pH of the mixture was adjusted to pH 4, the stirring speed was 100 rpm for 180 minutes and at 25℃. The results showed that the highest % adsorption was achieved at an adsorbent mass of 0.75 grams, which was 92.9% (2.5 mg/g), while the highest adsorption capacity was obtained at the use of an adsorbent mass of 0.25 grams (7.27 mg/g). Both the decrease in % adsorption and adsorption capacity that occurred in the use of the mass variation of the adsorbent were mostly caused by the aggregation process.
2. Thambiraj S, Sharmila G, Ravi Shankaran D. Green adsorbents from solid wastes for water purification application. Materials Today: Proceedings [Internet]. 2018;5(8):16675–83. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2018.06.029
3. Handayani CO, Sukarjo S, Dewi T. Penilaian Tingkat Cemaran Logam Berat Pada Lahan Pertanian di Hulu Sungai Citarum, Jawa Barat. Jurnal Ilmu Lingkungan. 2022;20(3):508–16.
4. Annadurai G, Juang RS, Lee DJ. Adsorption of Heavy Metals From Water Using Banana and Orange Peels. Water Science and Technology. 2002;47(1):185–90.
5. Feng N chuan, Guo X yi, Liang S. Kinetic and thermodynamic studies on biosorption of Cu(II) by chemically modified orange peel. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China (English Edition) [Internet]. 2009;19(5):1365–70. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(08)60451-3
6. Jena S, Sahoo RK. Removal of Pb (II) from Aqueous Solution Using Fruits Peel as a Low Cost Adsorbent. International Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology. 2017;5(1):5–13.
7. Liang S, Guo XY, Feng NC, Tian QH. Effective removal of heavy metals from aqueous solutions by orange peel xanthate. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China (English Edition) [Internet]. 2010;20(SUPPL.1):s187–91. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(10)60037-4
8. Santos CM, Dweck J, Viotto RS, Rosa AH, de Morais LC. Application of orange peel waste in the production of solid biofuels and biosorbents. Bioresource Technology [Internet]. 2015;196:469–79. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2015.07.114
9. Kwikima MM, Mateso S, Chebude Y. Potentials of agricultural wastes as the ultimate alternative adsorbent for cadmium removal from wastewater. A review. Scientific African [Internet]. 2021;13:e00934. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sciaf.2021.e00934
10. Pandiarajan A, Kamaraj R, Vasudevan S, Vasudevan S. OPAC (orange peel activated carbon) derived from waste orange peel for the adsorption of chlorophenoxyacetic acid herbicides from water: Adsorption isotherm, kinetic modelling and thermodynamic studies. Bioresource Technology [Internet]. 2018 Aug;261:329–41. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S096085241830508X
11. Feng NC, Guo XY, Liang S. Enhanced Cu(II) adsorption by orange peel modified with sodium hydroxide. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China (English Edition) [Internet]. 2010;20(SUPPL.1):s146–52. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(10)60030-1
12. Rahayu WP, Harisma IW, Syamsuddin Y, Sofyana S, Mulyati S. Ekstraksi Pektin dari Kulit Jeruk dan Kulit Pisang sebagai Biosorben pada Proses Adsorpsi Logam Berat Fe. Jurnal Serambi Engineering. 2021;6(2):1899–907.
13. Mondal P, Yadav BP, Siddiqui NA. Removal of Lead from Drinking Water by Bioadsorption Technique: An Eco-friendly Approach. Nature Environment and Pollution Technology. 2020;19(4):1675–82.
14. Solika N, Napitupulu M, Gonggo ST. Bioadsorpsi Pb(II) Menggunakan Kulit Jeruk Siam (Citrus reticulata). Jurnal Akademika Kimia. 2017;6(3):160–4.
15. Bhatti HN, Zaman Q, Kausar A, Noreen S, Iqbal M. Efficient remediation of Zr(IV) using citrus peel waste biomass: Kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies. Ecological Engineering [Internet]. 2016;95:216–28. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2016.06.087
16. Adeniyi AG, Ighalo JO. Biosorption of pollutants by plant leaves: An empirical review. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering [Internet]. 2019;7(3). Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2019.103100
17. Arifiyana D, Devianti VA. Biosorpsi Logam Besi (Fe) dalam Media Limbah Cair Artifisial Menggunakan Adsorben Kulit Pisang Kepok (Musa acuminate). Jurnal Kimia Riset. 2020;5(1):1–8.
18. Anwar J, Shafique U, Waheed-uz-Zaman, Salman M, Dar A, Anwar S. Removal of Pb(II) and Cd(II) from water by adsorption on peels of banana. Bioresource Technology [Internet]. 2010 Mar 1 [cited 2019 Sep 13];101(6):1752–5. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960852409013650
19. Karthikeyan S, Balasubramanian R, Iyer CSP. Evaluation of the marine algae Ulva fasciata and Sargassum sp. for the biosorption of Cu(II) from aqueous solutions. Bioresource Technology. 2007 Jan 1;98(2):452–5.
20. Ahmadi H, Sadat S, Sharifi H, Ngambua N, Sanaullah S, Hussain S. Low cost biosorbent (Melon Peel) for effective removal of Cu (II), Cd (II), and Pb (II) ions from aqueous solution. Case Studies in Chemical and Environmental Engineering [Internet]. 2022;6(July):100242. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cscee.2022.100242
21. Gong R, Ding Y, Liu H, Chen Q, Liu Z. Lead biosorption and desorption by intact and pretreated spirulina maxima biomass. Chemosphere. 2005;58(1):125–30.
22. Monji AB, Ahmadi SJ, Zolfonoun E. Selective biosorption of zirconium and hafnium from acidic aqueous solutions by rice bran, wheat bran and platanus orientalis tree leaves. Separation Science and Technology. 2008;43(3):597–608.
23. Sirilert M, Maikrang K. Adsorption Isotherm of Some Heavy Metals in Water on Unripe and Ripe Peel of Banana. Naresuan University Journal : Science and Technology [Internet]. 2018;26(1):128–41. Available from: www.journal.nu.ac.th/NUJST/article/view/1741/1239 -
24. Boota R, Bhatti HN, Hanif MA. Removal of Cu(II) and Zn(II) Using Lignocellulosic Fiber Derived from Citrus reticulata (Kinnow) Waste Biomass. Separation Science and Technology. 2009;44(16):4000–22.
25. Saka C, Şahin Ö, Demir H, Kahyaoǧlu M. Removal of lead(II) from aqueous solutions using pre-boiled and formaldehyde-treated onion skins as a new adsorbent. Separation Science and Technology. 2011;46(3):507–17.
Copyright (c) 2023 Djamilah Arifiyana, Ratih Kusuma Wardani
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.